Open positions (updated 9/19/18):
Director of Donor Relations
Bayshore Center at Bivalve
The Bayshore Center at Bivalve (BCB) is a working water front museum dedicated to environmental education and the history of the Delaware Bay region. The organization owns and operates the historic Schooner the AJ Meerwald, a sailing classroom and vehicle to enjoy the area waterways. The museum, located in the historic ship sheds in Bivalve, NJ, is the AJ Meerwald’s home port.
BCB is seeking a full-time person to fill the position as Director of Donor Relations. The Director of Donor Relations creates, implements, manages and assesses a comprehensive donor relations plan to assist the organization reach its strategic fundraising goals. The scope of work includes donor relations, stewardship and related communications. The position reports to the Executive Director.
The following are the functions essential to performing this job:
- Develops, implements, and leads a successful and integrated donor relations program that strategically targets all levels of giving as identified by the organization. Ensures donors are acknowledged and recognized to strengthen their financial support for the organization.
- Acts as a liaison and specialist to advancement personnel in order to provide cultivation and stewardship assistance to individual donors and prospects.
- Oversees and directs the development and implementation of strategic communications in multiple mediums in a timely fashion. This will include, but not be limited to, social media sites, Annual Report to Donors, e-blasts, year-end-reminders, gift acknowledgements, web pages, invitations, newsletter updates, fundraising campaign materials, and press releases.
- Ensures special events are communicated and on the calendar of appropriate officials and targeted guests.
- Creates innovative programs and projects to thank and steward donors; ensures the external reporting to donors on endowments.
- Manages and coordinates any campaign-related events.
- May supervise staff, volunteer and student workers.
- Tracks donor relations and stewardship activities to enhance relationships and increase the likelihood of continued contributions.
- Responsible for the review and control of all gift acknowledgments, including receipts, thank you letters, pledge statements and endowment reports.
- Works closely staff to report to donors on the use of gifts, to arrange meetings between donors and beneficiaries if appropriate, and to help celebrate gifts.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in fundraising or constituent relations with an educational institution or non-profit.
- Successful experience: Specific experience stewarding and cultivating donors and alumni a plus.
- Other preferences: Proven experience in producing marketing material, including web-based communiqués and social media.
Persons interested in applying for the position should send resume and cover to: firstname.lastname@example.org (no calls please)
"Everybody Teaches" is our philosophy on board the Schooner AJ Meerwald. From the Captain to the Cook to the Deckhand Volunteers, every shipboard position is expected to participate in educating all who come on board to fulfill our mission “to inspire people to take care of the history, the culture and the environment of New Jersey’s Bayshore region through education, preservation and example".
Our primary vehicles for accomplishing this mission are the Schooner A.J. Meerwald and the Bivalve Center, an education facility for exploring the region’s rich environment and heritage located on the Maurice River waterfront in southern New Jersey. Shipboard crew are occasionally involved in shore-side events at the Bivalve Center in addition to their shipboard responsibilities.
If this appeals to you and you are currently seeking an adventure, check out our current position openings below.
The Bayshore Center at Bivalve is seeking applicants for the following positions aboard the AJ Meerwald for the 2018 sailing season. If interested, please email your resume and three references to Ali Place at email@example.com. All positions are paid, with room and board provided aboard the AJ Meerwald. All positions run through early November.
We are hiring for the 2019 season!
The Bosun is responsible for overseeing and conducting maintenance of sails, rigging, and hull. The Bosun also participates in onboard and shore-based programming. Marlinspike seamanship and other bosunry skills aboard a traditionally rigged sailing vessel are required. Education experience is a plus.
Responsibilities of a Deckhand/Educator include participating in onboard and shore-based programming and participating in vessel maintenance and operations. A strong environmental ethic, plenty of stamina, flexibility, and a positive attitude are required. Environmental education experience and experience working aboard a traditionally rigged sailing vessel are strongly recommended.